[TN-Butterflies] Re: Watchable Wildlife web site

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:03:07 -0600

Thanks for posting and discussing Bill.

The site is bird heavy at the moment, but that is because I work on birds:)
Anyway, we are going to update and redo the herps and the other groups on the
top toolbar.  I've linked to existing sources for now.

I am clearly going to be looking for help on those sections.  I used to be more
of a lepidoptera watcher than I am now.  I used to be really into moths ~6-10
yrs ago.  I'd be thrilled to get input from you guys on the best approach to
doing something with the butterflies, moths, dragonflies, and damselflies.  I
don't think I'll be getting into nearly as much detail as with the birds, but
having main groups and some species info (dates, favorite host plants, fun
facts, range, occurrence maps or link to Stedman's work and/or BAMONA spp page)
with pictures would be really nice.  I know I'll learn a LOT.  We can make
things "sortable" like we've done with the birds.  I've paid the web company to
create the code already, so it wouldn't be too hard to replicate and edit for
other taxa.  Everyone that would help, contribute pictures, etc. would
absolutely be getting credit for their work.
I'd be thrilled for advice/help on the insect section.  These other sections
I'll be planning to work on over the next year or so.  Lots to do and there is
only one of me!

The insect page will be fascinating for teachers and school children too!  One
of my aims with this project was to have a resource for educators as I feel it
is really important to have a wildlife based education tool in Tennessee!

Feel free to contact me directly at scott.somershoe@xxxxxx or post back.  I
look forward to working with all!

Sincerely,
Scott