[TN-Butterflies] Re: Sellers Farm SAA

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:09:29 -0500

Richard,
    Thanks for this and the numbers. Numbers are imperative the way I see
it. Now, you and anyone else tell me, you call the aster Aster pilosus, and
I, out of ignorance, call what is about the only thing still blooming where
I go Daisy Fleabane (seems to turn purple with age though I see only a
little of this now). So is what I think is DF is your A. pilosus? I really
can't tell from web images. My aster can be seen in the attachment (with the
checkered-skipper species). I really want to know what this plant is as it
is the main and usually only one available where I go now. You add to my
personal list of still out there Black Swallowtail, Gemmed Satyr, and
Goatweed Leafwing. Am glad to know about the flight length of the leafwing.
Seems it is never mentioned except in spring. Thank you.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.

Date: 10/19/2010
Location: Sellers Farm State Archaeological Area, Wilson Co. TN
Number of Species: 17
Number of Individuals: 1226
Notes: morning visit to Sellers Farm, hazy sun, cloudy by 12 noon; most
field areas un-mowed with some plants still in flower; Sachems mostly using
small white aster (Aster pilosus), there was a lot of that and there were
lots of Sachems... in a fifty acre area there were probably 5,000 (25
skippers per large clump of asters, maybe 200 clumps of asters in 50 acres),
but a rough estimate of the number I could see from the trails was about
1,000.

Richard Connors
Nashville

Black Swallowtail    Papilio polyxenes   Adult   1  male, fresh-looking
Checkered White   Pontia protodice    Adult   4
Clouded Sulphur   Colias philodice    Adult   2
Orange Sulphur   Colias eurytheme    Adult   25
E.Tailed-Blue     Everes comyntas Adult   30
Gulf Fritillary     Agraulis vanillae   Adult   8
Variegated Fritillary   Euptoieta claudia   Adult   10
Pearl Crescent   Phyciodes tharos    Adult   50
anglewing           Polygonia sp.      Adult   3
Common Buckeye  Junonia coenia  Adult   35
Goatweed Leafwing   Anaea andria    Adult   2   fairly fresh-looking
Gemmed Satyr      Cyllopsis gemma Adult   1
Carolina Satyr    Hermeuptychia sosybius  Adult   6
Com/White Checkered-Skipper    Pyrgus sp. Adult   25
Clouded Skipper    Lerema accius   Adult   15   all on Phlox or basking
Fiery Skipper     Hylephila phyleus   Adult   10
Sachem     Atalopedes campestris   Adult   999 +