[TN-Butterflies] Possible Creole Pearly-eye

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:04:37 -0400

Unfortunately this sighting is not in  Tennessee, but I would like to know
if this specimen is indeed a Creole Pearly-eye.  It was found on lower part
of the Looking Glass Rock trail, roughly 300 yards from the trailhead.  A
small wet weather stream crossed the trail here, flowing down into a swampy
area.  The location is in the Pisgah National Forrest, near US 276  in
Transylvania County, NC.  Comments will be appreciated.

Two other unusual  sighting occurred on this trip.  I met Richard Conners on
the trail to Upper Yellowstone Falls off of the Blue Ridge Parkway in
Haywood County, NC.  I had just seen a convocation of Northern Pearly-eyes
up the trail.  There were at least six specimens flying around this spot.  I
had never seen that many in one spot.  I hope Richard also saw  them.
Photos of those Pearly-eyes are available if someone wants to see them.

Best regards,

Harold Howell
Grainger County
Rutledge, TN