[TN-Butterflies] Naturalized butterfly bush locations

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 20:26:59 -0400

All,

A botanist from Kentucky has been studying Buddleja davidii, orange-eye
butterfly bush, and is interested in finding non-cultivated examples growing in
Tennessee.  He’s not looking for plants intentionally planted and maintained in
yards or gardens, but instead naturalized specimens growing wild.

It occurred to me that TN-Butterflies subscribers are probably more likely than
most people to have noticed naturalized butterfly bush plants, due to our
interest in their insect visitors.  I can think of two examples here in
Anderson County: one growing on the roadside at a rocky road cut, and another
at an old closed landfill.

The plant can grow in some pretty inhospitable spots.  Quoting from an article
on naturalized Buddleja davidii in Kentucky:

“Common temperate habitats for Buddleja davidii growing without cultivation in
the United States include railroad lines, limestone quarries, coal
surface-mined lands, abandoned cultivated areas, urban disturbed areas,
successional woodland edges, roadsides, riparian corridors, streambeds,
floodplains, and sandy lake shores, among many others.”

If you can think of any examples of naturalized butterfly bush in Tennessee,
please email the location information to Dr. Ralph L. Thompson at
ralph_thompson@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks,
Doug

J. Bot. Res. Inst. Texas 7(1): 495 – 505. 2013