[TN-Butterflies] Monroe County, east Tenn

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:03:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, August 8, Mike Nelson, Jerry Ledbetter and I visited the Chota
Waterfowl Management Area and Cherohala Skyway in Monroe County. We got photos
of a few that will be submitted as BAMONA records. Here's what we found:

CHOTA
We arrived before most butterflies were out, but once it warmed up, we found
plenty to look at - especially Sleepy Oranges.
Silver-spotted Skipper
Hoary Edge
checkered-skipper sp.
Least Skipper
Fiery Skipper
unidentified Polites, Wallengrenia or Pompeius sp.
Sachem - only 1
Zabulon Skipper
Dun Skipper (BAMONA)
Pipevine Swallowtail
E Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Sleepy Orange
Little Yellow - most of these were NOT fully yellow. At  least one was mostly
white, and the rest were partly white.
Orange Sulphur - photographed, but not sure will qualify as a record
Cloudless Sulphur
Gray Hairstreak (BAMONA)
Eastern Tailed-Blue
American Snout (BAMONA)
Red-spotted Purple
Tawny Emperor (BAMONA)
Red Admiral
Eastern Comma
Common Buckeye
Pearl Crescent
Carolina Satyr

Up on the CHEROHALA SKYWAY, we found some duskywings, presumably Wild Indigo.
Not sure photos will be good enough for a BAMONA record. I believe we need
underside photos and they were difficult to obtain.
At Grassy Gap (elevation around 3500 feet) there were a large number of Azure
species. Didn't see any bugbane in the area.
 David Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
...come see the real world!
Knoxville, TN