[TN-Butterflies] Re: Horace's Duskywing at Lowe's - Nashville (Davidson County)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:38:36 -0500

It's Wednesday (July 29). Errand day. Lowe's Day. The flowers at Lowe's that
butterflies like are getting a little thin, but still attracting. Today
there was one each of three species--Sachem, Silver-spotted Skipper, and
Horace's Duskywing. The last two are new for the Lowe's list for the season,
which now is seven species. It was the Horace's Duskywing that was the
surprise. These duskywings are new to me so I reasoned that it was not a
Wild Indigo Duskywing because it had a small, but usually prominent whitish
spot interior to the four apical spots on the forewing above (Steve's
comment to me from a previous misstep) and was more mottled than a Wild
Indigo Duskywing would be; Juvenal's Duskywing is not flying, but if so,
there are no spots on the underside of the hindwing (Ken's comment to me on
the differences); and female because of the large spots, a male having
smaller spots. It fed mainly on Summer Dream Coreopsis but also included a
little May Night Salvia (Salvia nemorosa) and catmint. The Silver-spotted
Skipper on the May Night Salvia was to pretty not to show. Thanks to Ken for
verifying the duskywing identification.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN