[TN-Butterflies] 25 species today

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:48:17 -0700 (PDT)

The weather was better than expected today so I spent about an hour looking
around the farm. I think I found the source of all the Spicebush Swallowtails
I've been seeing this year. There's a patch of Sassafras growing on the edge of
one of the back pastures.

Not all of these were seen during my 1 hour walk. Some were seen as I was
working throughout the day.

Confused Cloudywing (2 different 'flys at different times, both in the magic
circle on the driveway)
Northern Cloudywing
Southern Cloudywing
Silver-spotted Skipper
Horace's Duskywing
Sachem (the numbers are way down from the past few weeks)
Fiery Skipper
Clouded Skipper
Dun Skipper
Little Glassywing
American Lady
Eastern Tailed-blue
Gray Hairstreak
Spicebush Swallowtail
Black Swallowtail
Viceroy
Red-spotted Purple
Monarch (not usual for this time of year, at least not here)
Cloudless Sulphur
Pearl Crescent
Variegated Fritillary
Carolina Satyr
Little Wood-satyr
Common Buckeye
Question Mark

I saw all 3 species of Cloudywings in a relatively short period of time and I
noticed that the Confuseds generally sit with their wings a bit more closed
than the Northerns and Southerns. The Southerns were all feeding on flowers and
the Northerns were all on an all dirt section of my driveway.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.