[TN-Butterflies] FOY for Shelby County

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:43:20 -0500

Took most of the day off from work and went to Meeman-Shelby Forest to check on
things before next weekend's count.  The wildflower planting all over the park
were literally covered with Eastern Tiger Swallowtails.  There had to have been
at least 200-300 just at the park.  On one buttonbush behind the visitors
center I counted 24, and that didn't include the backside that I couldn't see.
I'm hoping the wildflowers and the butterflies hold on for another 9 days!!!!

Here's a list of things seen (FOY noted):

Pipevine Swallowtail - 5

Zebra Swallowtail - 15-20

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 300+

Spicebush Swallowtail - 20-25

Orange Sulphur - 8-10

Southern Dogface - 1 (FOY)

Cloudless Sulphur - 1

Little Yellow - 5

Gray Hairstreak - 7

Eastern Tailed-Blue - 30+

Summer Azure - 1

American Snout - 25-30

Great Spangled Fritillary - 1 (FOY)

Silvery Checkerspot - 12  these were all VERY fresh, just emerged.

Pearl Crescent - 10

Common Buckeye - 5-7 (FOY)

Question Mark - 2

Eastern Comma - 30+