[TN-Butterflies] Re: Correction: S Dogface in Hamilton Co.

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <schottbirds@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN-Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:59:29 -0400

Susan;

One of the biggest benefits of a group like this is as a learning tool.
Everyone makes mistakes, but by learning where we went wrong, it will
make us better and more careful butterfly observers in the future.

You are correct that the Southern Dogface has quite sharply pointed tips
on the forewing, unlike the butterfly in your photo. I'm also not aware
that it comes in a white phase, although I guess that might be possible.
I have very little experience with the species myself, as it is quite
rare in Hamilton County. Has anyone seen a white phase Southern Dogface?

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton County