[TN-Butterflies] Re: Cloudless Sulphurs acting silly

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:55:57 -0500

I have never had a Cloudless Sulphur land on me or spread its wings like you
describe. Some of the Sulphur males reflect ultraviolet light. I noticed
several butterflies basking today, even when it was 85-90 deg. These were
Common Buckeye, Spicebush Swallowtail, Silvery Checkerspot and Red-spotted
Purple. (The RSP was in 93 deg.)

I saw a Little Yellow get aggressive against a Southern Dogface along a
walking trail today. The LY was patrolling up and down and the SD was in the
way. The LY went after it and the SD retreated.

Rita Venable, Franklin, TN
Williamson Co. (but this happened in Rutherford Co.)