[TN-Butterflies] Re: Clouded Skipper - Kentucky Manor (Davidson County) July 4, 2009

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:38:55 -0500

July 4, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN
    360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)

I finally put a concrete name to a brown skipper at the Manor after four or
five tries. It is a Clouded Skipper seen only on July 4 and only for a short
time. I engaged the expertise of Don and Bart to verify my guess and both
agreed. I had said to them Clouded Skipper because it had that dark vertical
band and light where it might be more gray in a fresh individual. Don said,
"Yeah, that's a good Clouded Skipper band pattern. Also, notice the white
patch below the antennal club, and the forewing apical spot-row that curves
slightly so that the ends point backward." Bart commented, " I think this is
definitely a Clouded Skipper, actually very typical of what they usually
look like when you see them in the field." Thanks to both for ID comments.
This makes the 22nd verified species for the Manor this season.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN