[TN-Butterflies] Re: Clearwing images and leg color

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:18:42 -0500

    The discussion on the identification of the Hummingbird and Snowberry
clearwings has produced positive results; learning the differences between
the two species and correcting the images on BAMONA. Several members of the
group pointed out to Jason Roberts that there were wrong images on the two
pages. He agreed. The first image on the Hummingbird clearwing is a
Snowberry and on the Snowberry clearwing under more images, the image by
Gregory Scheckler is a Hummingbird. These will be corrected but haven't yet
as of this writing.
    The leg color of the two species aids in their identification, something
Audrey has pointed out. I asked Jason to clarify this for me as he was the
one who told me that black legs were diagnostic for Snowberry (diffinis) and
it seemed to me that the legs on some of the Hummingbird (thysbe) images had
some black on them. Jason said, "And in regard to the legs, it is primarily
the dorsal surface we're concerned with for gracilis and thysbe. In
diffinis, the legs will tend to be entirely black, although some wear and
tear can leave the legs looking only "mostly" black or dark."

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN