[TN-Butterflies] BAMONA for Knox County

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

Sunday morning while taking part in a Spring Bird Count for Knox County, I was
SHOCKED to see a life butterfly at Forks of the River WMA. A bright orange
butterfly was flying around in the cedar glade there...then we saw another and
finally a third. I got some good photos of the underside and only one half
decent one of the upper surface of the wings of a GOATWEED LEAFWING!!
From reading, I assume the photos are of an over-wintering individual because
of the rather pointed forewing tip.
The photos can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/3477231395/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/3477229549/

It looks like these are the farthest east they have been documented in
Tennessee.
It is interesting that I have been doing the Spring Bird Count in this area
since about 1995 and never noticed this species in this area before. No idea
what is different there this year.

Also at Forks of the River were over a dozen JUNIPER HAIRSTREAKs. There are so
many cedars in the area that I bet you could find a few dozen if you wanted to
cover the area well.
I had some other FOY  species for Knox County, but I need to compile my records
first before submitting them.

 David Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
...come see the real world!