[TN-Butterflies] BAMONA for Blount County

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:28:13 -0800 (PST)

On a beautiful Sunday morning (11-15-09) I found myself in Cades Cove of the
Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Since I was there with family and friends,
I didn't expect to be adding to the butterfly list for Blount County, but the
warm weather brought out a few butterflies - including Painted Lady and Common
Buckeye.
The star of the show was a MEADOW FRITILLARY near the first cabin you come to
on the right as you drive into the Cove. This was the first I have ever had a
chance to photograph one. This individual does not show the whitish coloring on
the underside of the wings, especially the hind wing, but I do believe the
identification is correct. Please review and correct if necessary!!

Photos can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/4115316136/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/4114547339/

 David Trently