[TN-Bird] wild turkeys

  • From: Carole Franklin <franklin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:01:19 -0500

The resident flock of wild turkeys (20-25) were feeding in the woods below
my deck again this morning.  From all the tracks in the lingering snow, I'd
say they were cleaning up the birdseed which the feeder birds scatter off
the deck to the ground WAY below.

One of the Pileated Woodpeckers was in a tree just off the loft deck this
afternoon but by the time I grabbed the camera it was flying off.  I have
observed one of them going into a cavity of a dead pine in front of the
house which I suspect was the family nest.  Does anyone know if it's common
for them to nest in the same tree year after year?

The Great Horned Owl is still calling off and on at night.  Sometimes I
hear an answer, sometimes I don't.

Carole Franklin
Jonesborough, TN

http://members.surfbest.net/bluebird@xxxxxxxxxxxx/CJPage.html