[TN-Bird] conjunctivitis in Junco; Tremont birds

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:24:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

A woman I work with, who knows a lot about birds, tells me that she
saw a Dark-eyed Junco with pretty bad looking conjunctivitis a the
Tremont feeder this weekend.  We've not seen it, or any others that
appear ill, since.  There are MANY Juncos under the black-oil
sunflower seed feeder every day.

Here in the Smokies, there are a lot of altitudinal migrants - birds
that migrate up and down with the seasons, rather than north and
south as we humans are accustomed to thinking of migration.  Juncos
are an altitudinal migrant.  So noone really knows how many of the
birds here breeed in the park, and how many came here from the north
- interesting study, though...

We've had a couple Hermit Thrushes recently.  They seemed to be
missing earlier in the season - until a group of us from Knoxville
TOS saw many on a trip to Georgia and northern Florida.

No siskins yet, but we did have a beautiful male Purple Finch at the
Tremont feeder on Friday.

Good birding!

Charlie Muise

Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN.  Blount County.

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac