[TN-Bird] Re: thoughts on Bill Pulliam's BBS data graphs of Wood Duck and Black-throated Green Warbler

  • From: "Roger Applegate" <Roger.Applegate@xxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "littlezz@xxxxxxxxx" <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>,<tboves@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:37:11 -0500

Than
The range shift issue is one of the reasons that looking solely at BBS is
problematic. Having "permanent" routes that are used year after year can cloud
that fact that changes in habitat specific to the route can show a declining
trend while all that has happened is that the birds have moved to another
location. This location could just be far enough from the route that they are
no longer detectable on the route, but they are still there and trend may
really be stable or increasing.

Roger D. Applegate
Wildlife Biologist and Coordinator
Bobwhite Ruffed Grouse, Cottontail, Tree Squirrels
Wildlife Diseases
Human Dimensions Surveys
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Ellington Agricultural Center
PO Box 40747
Nashville, TN 37204

PH: 615/781-6616
FAX: 615/781-6654
Email: roger.applegate@xxxxxx
UPS Address: 440 Hogan Road
 Nashville, TN 37220
FedEx Address: 5107 Edmonson Pike, Nashville, TN 37211
>>> "Boves, Than James" <tboves@xxxxxxx> 10/13/2011 9:12 AM >>>
Interesting to think about these local patterns in comparison to range-wide
patterns. Are global patterns the same or different to TN changes? How many TN
changes represent range shifts vs. true declines/increases? For instance,
American Redstart has shown no change range-wide (1966 - 2008) vs. Bill found a
65% decline in TN. What do these differences mean?

I've attached a recent paper that summarizes rangewide BBS results from
1966-2010.

Than Boves
Knoxville, TN