[TN-Bird] signs of spring

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:39:49 -0400

An exciting morning in my west Knox County yard today.  The bluebirds are
starting a nest and the male was seen displaying (fluttering wings and
vocalizing) to the female.  A Brown Thrasher is singing and 2 of them are
chasing each other around.  A Blue Jay was observed feeding another jay.  A
male Red-winged Blackbird is singing.  But best of all, a pair of Hairy
Woodpeckers was walking around the wild cherry tree just a few feet from the
deck in the back yard.  I've only had a few isolated sightings of a Hairy here
over the years.  Then yesterday a female was in that same tree.  This morning I
first saw the male and then quickly spotted the female close by.  Wow!  I
usually see 2 or 3 Downies in that tree (where the suet is hung) but saw no
Downies this morning.  Could the Hairys have run them off?
Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN