[TN-Bird] recent yard arrivals

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

Spring birds have been slow to arrive in our yard in
west Knox Co. this year but things have picked up a bit
the last couple of days.

Had the first WOOD THRUSH and SCARLET TANAGER yesterday
(20 April).

This morning (21 April) I added GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER,
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, OVENBIRD (2), PALM WARBLER, and ROSE-
BREASTED GROSBEAK (2) for the year.

Hummingbirds are still erratic; had our first female on
Tuesday (19 April).  Red-eyed Vireos have been scarce but
were here in force this morning with 3-4 seen and heard
singing loudly.  Blue-headed is the only other vireo so
far this year.  Only 8 warblers so far: Myrtle, Hooded,
Worm-eating, Am Redstart, Pine, Black-throated Green,
Palm and Ovenbird.

Song Sparrows have built in the neighbors' Bradford Pear
though I suspect they will be raising cowbirds.  Titmice
are nesting in one of our boxes. Bluebirds started in
another but seem to have abandoned it.  A pair of Brown
Thrashers are acting territorial as are a pair of Blue-
grey Gnatcatchers... both would be nice additions to the
yard breeding list.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN