[tn-bird] random, possibly babbling, Smokies birds

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

I'll be the one babbling here, not the birds.  Sorry some of these
are a couple days old.  Been a crazy week, I'm waiting for tomorrow
night to come so I can clebrate it's end with a little of that good
ole mountain dew!

It's been an absolute migratory bonanza here in Walker Valley (Great
Smoky Mountains National Park, Blount County).  Much better than I
remember last year being.

On Tuesday, I did a hike with a group of 7th graders from Florida
(this structure is called a hill.  That is a tree.  No, not all trees
are palms...  actually, this is a great group, but it's fun to
introduce flatlanders to the Smokies!)  Anyway, I finally had my
state BAY-BREASTED WARBLER.  State bird # 204.  I don't think Ole'
Coot has to worry about competition from here, but I'm happy.  Also
my 31st warbler in the state - I know, Jay and Chris and all have had
31 warbler days, but I'm still happy.  And besides, this guy was so
close, I ID'd it without bins!  Also had gobs of TENNESSEE Warblers,
one MAGNOLIA, one HOODED and many I couldn't ID.  Also lots of
thrushes, including my first HERMIT THRUSH of the season and a WOOD
THRUSH.  To make the whole migration pattern complete, I had my first
low-elevation (1450') JUNCO of the year.  They do the altitudinal
migration here, and the first one in Walker Valley is a sought-after
sign of fall to even non-birders on our staff.  A Ruffed Grouse was
nice enough to startle a couple kids.

On a non-birding note, I finally saw my first Smokies scorpion.  No
idea what species it was, but leave it to a kid from Florida to find
it for me!  Next time we'll work on a Mangrove Cuckoo...

Yesterday we went to Cades Cove where I had my first HARRIER of the
year, a VESPER SPARROW, several PALM WARBLERS (all western) and a few
EASTERN MEADOWLARKS.  I had a second HERMIT THUSH there as well,
mixed in with the many SWAINSON'S - where are they all coming from?
Last year I don't think I ever had a day with more than 10-12  This
year I've had a few days with something near a hundred, and I'm not
in the field any more than last year.  Also 50+  monarchs flying over
- that is later than last year, too.

Today I got to hike with the elder hostel folks.  We hiked Turkeypen
Ridge, Schoolhouse Gap, Bote Mountain and West Prong Trails.  Again
the SWAINSON'S THRUSH and TENNESSEE WARBLER numbers astounded me.  I
had a terrible tease from a likely Mourning/Connecticut, but not
enough to ID the bugger.  A male Black and White came down to say hi
the the ladies I was escorting (hey, I'm not gonna argue age when I
get to lead 6 women through the woods...) we were treated to good
views of Pileated Woodpeckers, which was exciting for a couple. In a
place that is just chock-full of PINE WARBLERS in summer I found just
one.  Same with TOWHEE.  A Sharp-shinned Hawk came squaking to a halt
atop a dead pine just 10 yards from us after an unsuccessful chase of
a Blue Jay - what was that youngster thinking?!?  I had one each of
WOOD and HERMIT THRUSHES.  I need to wait till I'm home after
performing the old campfire tonight before I can see how early I had
them last year, but I think it was a lot later than Oct 8 and 10...

I hear the Crane leave today... hope I get lucky enough to see them
this year.  Tracey Everson and I are going to walk a couple of the
miles on Sunday.  Maybe we'll see some of you out there.

Good birding!

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)