[TN-Bird] perhaps a bit off topic?

  • From: "Reese, Carol" <jreese5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:52:28 +0000

Keep hearing that lawn is not wildlife friendly, when I see it being used by
robins, bluebirds, thrashers, phoebes, crows, flickers, etc. Any figures on
this anywhere? I feel the stats somewhere must bear out that some species of
birds have benefited (while some certainly have not.)

Of course, a lawn could be detrimental to any bird if one applied things
detrimental, for example insecticides to kill grubs, armyworms, etc.

I don't. I have watered my lawn its first year, a little its second, and have
fertilized it twice. I have never bothered to spray for weeds, just mow them
down, and the turf is gradually choking them out. I think my lawn is very low
maintenance. It is surrounded by areas I have let grow up in broomsedge,
asters, perennial sunflowers, maypop, goldenrod, partridgepea, etc. Those areas
are bordered by woodland.

Looking for literature that bears this out, since mine is just my experience
and thus, anecdotal. Tired of being made to feel guilty for having a generous
swath of zoysia lawn that the dogs and I use and enjoy, and that I find to be
very low maintenance. I'd say it takes me less than two hours to mow, walking
behind a self propelled Toro, every other week. The bluebirds and phoebes show
up to see what I am kicking up for them.

Henderson County near Cedar Grove
Carol Reese