[TN-Bird] (no subject)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:25:41 -0400

Wallace Coffey wrote:

> Today, 8 June,  a Canada Warbler was heard singing at 2,260 feet
elevation along Beaverdam Stream and TN Rt. 133 in Shady Valley, Johnson
Co., TN.  This is a very low elevation record for the species during the
breeding season in
> Tennessee.  I know of none lower.

TN-Birders,

Out-of-season birds and out-of-habitat birds are favorite mysteries of
mine, so I feel compelled to share a bit of info and conjecture on this
one . . . .

A few years ago (without considerable digging, I can't pinpoint exactly
when), I observed a Canada Warbler in early June in our yard in
Greeneville--at an elevation approximately equal to 2260 feet.  Since
our yard is totally unsuitable as a nesting site for this species, I
assumed that the bird was a straggler that hadn't reached territory
yet.  However, its presence here in Greeneville indicates to me that
elevational oddities do occur from time to time, so perhaps we shouldn't
be overly surprised when we find a high elevation bird at a lower
elevation after 31 May.  Nonetheless, like Wallace, I am intrigued by
the possibility that the Shady Valley bird might be attempting to nest
at 2260 feet. After all, Shady Valley is a far more suitable habitat
possibility than Greeneville.

By the way, I have also, from time to time in late spring or early
summer, found Red-breasted Nuthatch and Winter Wren at considerably
lower elevations on Viking Mountain (in Greene County) than I would have
expected, although both appear to
breed regularly near the summit (elevation: approximately 4800 feet).

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN