[TN-Bird] migration blues - Knox

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:24:28 -0400 (EDT)

Got a late start this morning but things were hopping in the
yard today, especially about 8:30am.  Took a short walk in
the woods behind our house.  Got to work pretty late... see
the highlights below and you'll understand why (and the
Subject: line)

Backyard and woods
west Knox Co, 10 May 2007

-- Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 1 annoyed one acting as if flushed
from her nest by an intruding family of 6 White-breasted
Nuthatches.  Defended an area of the tall tree diving at the
nuthatches whenever they got too close.  Couldn't spot the nest,
too high up (~40-50 ft)

-- Red-eyed Vireo, 5+, 2 pair and an apparent interloper

-- House Wren, still singing in the neighbors' yard

-- BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, 3!!! Heard singing which started
the walk in the woods as I wanted to see this one, not just
hear it.  Had eye-popping looks at a nominate male at eye-level
from about 20 ft while one sang far to my left and another far
to my right.  21st yard-warbler this spring.
-- Blackpoll Warbler, 4 singing, 2 in field-of-view at once
-- Prairie Warbler, 1 in potential breeding habitat, a stretch of
the ridge about 4 houses up from us where a tornado knocked down
a stand of pines about 4 years ago which is now over head-high
with new growth.
-- American Redstart, 1 male sitting in the top of a tree singing
nonstop for about 15 minutes in the same area as the Prairie.
Seemingly territorial.  Interesting but I would be surprised if
it is.  I need to walk up to this area more often.  Out of ear-shot
from our house.

-- Scarlet Tanager, 3 including a singing male with only one
small reddish patch on the upper breast.

-- Rose-breasted Grosbeak, yard high-count of at least 9 (6 female,
3 male)

On 9 May 2007, I finally heard a White-eyed Vireo from the parking
lot at work (they normally breed here) but still no Yellow-breasted
Chats or Blue Grosbeaks here this year.  Common Yellowthroats and
Indigo Buntings have been on territory for a while.  This is also
in west Knox Co.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES