[TN-Bird] Re: exceedingly rare oddity-- TWRA's enormous opportunity

  • From: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:52:11 -0500

I'll add one comment to this.  While this is certainly interesting news, I
would hate to see TWRA (again) waste valuable time and money on the issue
of breeding Golden Eagles.  The nearest breeding population is 700+ miles
away, and there is scant evidence (nothing more than vague anecdotes) that
this species was ever a native breeding species in Tennessee in the modern
era, notwithstanding TWRA's prior (and very misguided in my opinion)
efforts to "reintroduce" (actually "introduce") the species to the state.
In my opinion, given the facts we have available, this fledgling is highly
likely to be a byproduct of those efforts.  Certainly the bird should be
cared for and hopefully released, but beyond that, expediture of any of our
desperately limited non-game dollars on this bird is, in my opinion, a
tragic waste, when we have so many much more important issues that are
already starved for funding.

The wintering Golden Eagles are a bit of a different story, and in my
opinion that side of the equation definitely merits further study and
conservation effort.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com