[TN-Bird] exceedingly rare oddity-- TWRA's enormous oppo...

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:04:02 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all,

I would like to make a comment about the value of scientific research
without getting into the discussion of historical evidence of golden eagle
nesting in TN.

What we currently know is that at least one pair of golden eagles has  been
nesting in the Cordell Hull area for the past 20 years.  We know  that one
of the original pair was from the Georgia DNR hacking  project because it
carried an identifying tag.  Beyond that, we know  nothing about this pair,
whether the original two adult golden eagles  are still nesting and breeding
or whether mates have been lost and replaced by  other adults over these
years.

The tree holding the original known golden eagle nest fell in 2001.   Since
that time no other nest has been located.  Given Bob Hatcher's  report of
the last recorded fledging from this nest as 2001, we  can assume that the
appearance of the rescued fledgling is the first  confirmed evidence of golden
eagle breeding since the loss of the original  nest site.  This is
significant from the stand point of longevity,  breeding success and site
fidelity.
After twenty years, we have a  confirmed record of golden eagles breeding
in the wild in  Tennessee.  Again, there is no way to confirm whether the
two breeding adults that produced the recently rescued fledgling are  the
original breeding pair.

It is well known from historical data that golden eagles may build up to 14
 alternate nests.  The fact that no golden eagle nests have been
discovered is obviously not an indication that there is no golden eagle
breeding  in
our state.  It is fairly easy to spot a golden eagle nest in the west  where
trees are sparse and land is open.  But have you ever tried to spot a  nest
on a densely wooded mountain?  It is very difficult if not  impossible.

Having said that, at what point do we stop discussing  technicalities and
look at the opportunity for research and learning?  This  is a small project.
 Put a transmitter on this young bird when his/her  health is restored and
record what we can learn from that effort.  There is  no doubt that the
money can be raised.  Abundance of a species has  never been a viable reason to
exclude a species  from study.  The ruby-throated hummingbird is abundant in
the  east, but on-going research reveals new and enlightening information
about  this species every year.

Basically we have a wonderful opportunity.  Let's partner  together and
take advantage of it!

Vickie

Vickie Henderson
Knox County,
Knoxville, TN
_http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/_
(http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/)
_http://vickiehendersonsketchbook.blogspot.com/_
(http://vickiehendersonsketchbook.blogspot.com/)
_http://vickiehenderson.com/_ (http://vickiehenderson.com/)

In a message dated 7/16/2012 6:52:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Wallace-
We seem to be going in circles here, so let me be clearer.  I have  no
agenda or bias here, other than being in favor of smart use of limited  funds
for non-game conservation.  I'm asserting these facts:

1.  There is no definitive evidence that Golden Eagles have ever  naturally
nested in Tennessee in the modern era.

2.  What anecdotal evidence there is suggests that, at best, nesting
Golden Eagles were extralimital and rare.

3.  The nearest natural breeding populations are 700-1000 miles  away.

If you disagree with any of those, please cite your sources.  If  not, then
I don't know what you expect these experts to tell us; those facts  are all
I need to know to draw the conclusion that TWRA should not expend
resources on nesting Golden Eagles in Tennessee.

Chris  Sloan
Nashville, TN
_http://www.chrissloanphotography.com_
(http://www.chrissloanphotography.com/)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Wallace Coffey <_jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

Now that it is abundantly clear that relying on memory and humble  opinion
has its limitations,
it is probably best to get back to the main assertions:

-- TWRA needs to quickly move forward with  enlightened and progressive
options.  We should stand for the  very best progressive, professional and
scientific consultation in  eastern North America in regards to what the best
options are for the  captive fledgling Golden Eagle. That and nothing less.

    -- TWRA should not make bad decision or no  decisions at all simply
because there will probably always be  desperately-need non-game funding.  If
the scientific  community's thoughtful consensus is to do nothing, then that
would  be better founded than management with little more than memories  and
humble opinions.

What do we have to fear in hearing from experience and expertise  ?

Would it be more helpful for us to have reliable  facts when a discussion
espouses the  ASSUMPTION of past “tragic waste of TWRA’s Nongame  funds?”
What if it turns out that is not  the case and TWRA did not waste Nongame
funds ?  What if it turns  out TWRA does not waste valuable time ?

Are there flags of caution here which should remind  us that bias,
misinformation and agendas
threaten reasonable ideas of exploration and options to  pursue
progressive, professional and scientific consultation  ?

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN