[TN-Bird] early Black-crowned Night-Heron fledgling

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Birds, Bristol" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:48:08 +0000

On Tues, May 22, I was surveying a large rookery on Watts Bar Lake, Rhea Co. a
few miles east of Spring City in the vicinity of the Fooshee Peninsula.  It is
a large rookery with 6 species of waders seen including Great Blue, Great
Egret, Cattle Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Double-crested Cormorant, and
Green Heron (one lone bird flying into the rookery).

There were at least 13 adult black-crowned night-herons hanging out, some
incubating, some just standing guard, but we saw one bird that I initially
assumed was an immature plumage bird from last year.  I soon realized it was a
fledgling, which is very early.  The earliest date for fledglings in the
Breeding Chronology of Tennessee Birds is 17 June.  I'm pretty sure I had early
June fledglings in Nashville a couple years ago as well (I need to dig out my
records).  Regardless, this is a really early bird and very expected for that
species.
http://tnbirds.org/breeding_dates.html

We watched the bird for a couple minutes and there was no question it was a
young bird of the year.  No picts as it was rain and then pouring on us.  Good
day in the field!

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist