[TN-Bird] Common Gallinule at Meadowview, Kingsport

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:10:31 -0400

May 24. 2012
Meadowview Golf Course
Kingsport, Sullivan County, Tennessee

I finally got a positive ID today on a bird I've been hearing but unable to
get a look at in the marsh for a few weeks. I couldn't decide on voice
alone whether the bird was an American Coot or a Common Gallinule (although
I suspected Common Gallinule). Turned out to be Common Gallinule. I had two
birds today at The Cattails at Meadowview Golf Course. They were in the
cattail strip below Eastman Credit Union rear parking area on the far north
end of the strip (where some small open water areas are located). This
morning I heard one bird calling a couple of times as I usually do while
I'm there early photographing birds. I then saw a bird fly/run across the
pond. When he stopped, he called and another bird answered where he came
from. I was able to get a "record" shot across the pond through the
vegetation. I had the same bird calling in the same area last year around
this time, but could never get a look at it for a positive ID.

Rick
--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee