[TN-Bird] Re: Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker

  • From: Tanager5556@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:37:52 EST

Like Michelle I have had the Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers visiting for several
winters.  The seem to like our flowering Pear tree in the back  yard.  As with
Michelle's Maples the pear tree has several rows of well  spaced sap holding
wells drilled around the tree.  This week I have seen  the magnificent male at
this tree on multiple occasions.

I once went on a Christmas Bird count with another long time birder.   At one
site he said he had spotted a Yellow Belly.  I asked if it was male  or
female.    He replied.  " I don;t know how to tell  the sexes apart" which
surprised me as he was a long time birder.

I told him that the male had a beautiful red wine throat whereas the female
did not.  I have always enjoyed seeing that red wine throat of the male. I
guess that was one of the first things I learned about yellow belly's.

Oh well, I guess none of us know every detail about every bird.   That's one
thing that keeps us coming back for more.  There is always  plenty to learn
about our feathered friends.

J. Marty Paige
Cleveland ,TN
SW Bradley County