[TN-Bird] Hiawassee morning

  • From: "Patty Ford" <pattyford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:27:55 -0500

Well, Tony King and I made the trek down to Hiawassee early this =
morning;
but despite the gorgeous (very cold) and very calm morning, the pilots =
had
to stand down because of strong winds up high.  So after visiting with =
Joe
Duff and one of the ground crew members, and several Chattanooga birding
friends, we headed over to the new Cherokee Removal Memorial.  The new =
ramp
there is splendid, so good handicap access.  We had a wonderful view up
river of hundreds and hundreds of Sandhill Cranes coming in by the =
droves,
standing around the sand bars and island, with ONE WHOOPING CRANE in =
their
midst.  It did have a leg band and a transmitter, but was way too far =
away
to read anything, even with a couple of excellent scopes.  Enjoyed =
watching
him preen and stretch out those huge, black tipped wings, then tuck his =
head
back over his shoulder and snooze for a while.  Seemed very "at home."

They are not expecting a good forecast for the next two days, but who =
knows?
So tomorrow morning, several folks from KTOS will be birding Seven =
Islands,
looking for the Townsend's Solitaire that's been hanging around.

=20

Happy birding!

=20

=20