[TN-Bird] Wrigley BBS results

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:39:09 -0500

I ran the Wrigley, TN, BBS route this morning (June 7, 2009), my
second year on the route.  This route has been run every single year
since 1966, making a total of 43 consecutive years including today.
It runs from Hickman County across a corner of Maury County, ending a
few miles over the line into Williamson County.

Today's tally was 79 species, which is an all-time record for the
route.  Some highlights: 15 species of warblers, including 3
Ceruleans and 1 American Redstart; and a Dickcissel for only the
second time (the other was in 1985).  Several species had record high
totals for individuals; this is probably partly due to the notorious
and substantial "observer effect" in all point count data, but some
of it might reflect actual trends.  The record high tallies were:

Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  34
Pileated Woodpecker  12
Purple Martin  12
Warbling Vireo  8
Carolina Chickadee  21
Tufted Titmouse  75
Eastern Bluebird  28
Brown Thrasher  13 (tie)
Field Sparrow  38

The totals of chickadees and titmice are much higher than my own
totals for last year so it is not just the "observer effect."  The
titmouse total shatters the previous high count of 40 in 1991.  The
cluster of high woodpecker numbers is also intriguing.  A few species
were also notably low.  I had only 6 Red-eyed Vireos; totals for the
previous 7 years have ranged from 12 to 18.  My tally of 12 Common
Yellowthroats ties the record low count for the route.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES