[TN-Bird] Re: Wilson County - 24 August 2015

  • From: Greg Tomerlin <cedarbees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:54:25 -0500

Should have mentioned this was from 8:00 until 10:40 this morning at my
home just south of Lebanon.

Greg
On Aug 24, 2015 2:01 PM, "Greg Tomerlin" <cedarbees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

​Greetings all.​

Although I have been reading TN-Bird for several months, I think this is
my first post. Nothing rare or uncommon to report but I am itching to jump
in here with my results this morning. I finally positively identified a
Broad-winged Hawk this morning when one exploded out of a tree right
overhead and I saw that single white band on the tail. Also the white
underwing with the black border around the tip and along the back. This
made my day (at 8:20 a.m.) but an hour or so later I was watching some
dingy bluebirds, sparrows and house finches through monoculars when
suddenly something on fire burst into view and BAM! A Baltimore Oriole goes
in the log. I was surprised by how much brighter and more vivid the orange
was on this bird compared to the male (and female) I saw back in May. In
160 minutes, this is what I was able to identify.

Wild Turkey - 9
Black Vulture - 4
Turkey Vulture - 13
Broad-winged Hawk - 1