[TN-Bird] Wilson Co. nightjar survey, 3 June 12

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:42:43 +0000

I did an impromptu nightjar survey last night (3 June 12) in Cedars of Lebanon
State Forest and State Park, Wilson Co.  The first Chuck-wills-widow started
singing at 8:55pm and nightjars continued to sing through a very light drizzle
that began about 10:15 until it was raining too hard for me to hear them at
about 11:30 (which is not heavy rain, but just too hard to hear distant birds).

I covered about 13 miles of road in 2.5 hrs (skipping the area around the state
park HQ, campground, etc.), making stops and keeping track of numbers at each
stop.  It was overwhelming at times.  I have many more miles of road that I
wanted to survey, so I guess I have some more evenings to plan.

Totals:

Chuck-wills-widow - 75
Whip-poor-will - 31
Barred Owl - 6
Indigo Bunting - sang one full song at 11:28pm

Common Nighthawk - ZERO, but I know they nest out there in some spots.  I have
had them flying around during the day in some areas of Cedars before as well.

Great night birding!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency