[TN-Bird] Re: Wild grape bonanza for wild birds!

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:08:38 -0400

Dee Thompson asks the following question about the edibility of wild grapes.
All the wild grapes I have known are wonderful for human consumption.  Make
wonderful grape jelly, better than any other jelly in the whole to me when I
was a child.  Grape juice,  too.  So why not wine?

The southern and mountain wild grapes are clusters of tiny little things
with somewhat the flavor of a wild Concorde grape.  Beautiful deep dark
purple when they ripen.  But for jelly we were always told to put some green
ones in, too.  So the jelly would be thicker, I think.  I keep looking for
some this year but haven't been in the right place so far.  The vines make
fantastic grapevine swings, too, if you can find one anchored well enough in
a tree or trees..

So enjoy your bounty of grapes and birds while I envy you!!!
Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC  Mitchell County

> By the way, does anyone know if those wild grapes are safe for human
> consumption?  If so, I could have made several gallons of great wine if
I'd beat my
> birds to the grape bonanza!  My mother used to make several gallons of
wine
> every year from the Concord grapes we raised on our farm down in Florida.
We sold
> the rest of the grapes at my little fruit/veggie stand that I ran beside
the
> highway from the time I was about four years old.  Those home grown
veggies &
> fruits pretty much put me through Rollins College & a graduate program at
FSU.