[TN-Bird] Re: Why only male Eurasian Wigeons

  • From: SUEREDFISH Bales <sueredfish@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "harpagus@xxxxxxxxx" <harpagus@xxxxxxxxx>, "elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 11:33:30 -0500

I'm in Titusville, Fla. Last year I photographed a Male Eurasian Wigeon mating
with a female American Wigeon. Believe me I look hard for female Eurasian
Wigeons. Here's the picture. You can share if you like.

Danny Bales

CC: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: harpagus@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Why only male Eurasian Wigeons
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:57:27 -0600
To: elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's a good question, but (based on admittedly zero evidence) I'll suggest that
females in this case are simply overlooked. I can't come up with a reason why
females would not wander just as much as males.
Best birding,Stefan WoltmannMontgomery Co. TN

On Dec 1, 2013, at 9:49, "Ed Legrand" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can explain why the Eurasian Wigeons are always males. About 30 years ago
while birding at Gray Lodge WMA in California’s Sacramento Valley, over the
course of the winter’s day we found about a dozen male Eurasian Wigeons among
several thousand American Wigeons. Despite often excellent viewing conditions
and actively working at it (Robbins’ field guide in hand), my companions and I
could not confidently say we had found a female Eurasian Wigeon (I see they
were called European Widgeon [sic] (Mareca penelope) then). Since then, it’s
been only males that I’ve identified. Not saying it’s impossible to pick out a
female, but …  Ed LeGrandCumberland Co., TNFrom: tn-bird-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx