[TN-Bird] Re: Why only male Eurasian Wigeons

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Tn bird' <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 08:49:53 -0800 (PST)

Ed,

This question has come up from time to time. I also think it is a matter of
them being overlooked for the most part, though a very small number to be
overlooked to start with. I do think, and no disrespect intended whatsoever,
that the ID of female plumage Wigeons has come along a tremendous amount over
the last few years, and is a quantum leap past what you had available with the
(great) old Robbins guide. Of course to know you have a female-type Eurasian is
going to take a good look, better than we often get. That being said, a very
monotone female Eurasian could easily get your attention at a distance, but it
would probably be hard to see enough detail to be sure. Whereas a male can be
picked out at practically the edge of vision.

I seriously doubt many people are actively searching for female-plumage
Eurasians, though with recent advanced and knowledge, some are. I do, but have
also as yet come up empty, here in the mid-south. But, having seen a number of
them elsewhere, they can look quite different and it can be done. This same
situation exists with Cinnamon Teal, very few females are identified outside of
normal range compared to males. I believe the eclipse Garganey Jeff  found in
Memphis years ago  was initially discounted by many for this reason.

I'm not suggesting there are female Eurasians here with any regularity, but
TN's first record was of  2 males and a female (which I have no details of). I
realize that practically all Eurasians found in the east are males, though
females are found regularly in the Pac NW in the larger numbers of Eurasians
found there. For anyone wanting a challenge, and to make yourself look at
supposedly common birds much closer, the study of female Wigeons could be a lot
of fun! There is an excellent .pdf available from the 2005 Birding article
about this subject:
http://www.azfo.org/gallery/EUWI_article_%20BirdingVol37No2.pdf

Interesting topic!

Mike Todd