[TN-Bird] Whoopping Crane at Hiwassee refuge last Sunday

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:54:35 -0500

Tn-birders,
I didn't post this last week because I thought most people knew that the crane
was there (Blythe's Ferry WMA in Meigs Co., TN) and we really didn't see much
else that day, as it was raining fairly steadily. A lot of the cranes were
pretty close to the viewing gazebo when we got there. As we got under the
gazebo roof, many of them flushed from the fields and moved about 50 more yards
down the slope to the edge of the water. When they did this, we saw the
Whooper. I had my scope (some claim it is permanently attached to my hand!), so
I got the Whooper in the scope and saw its colored leg bands. I made a note of
them and sent the band information to the ICF (International Crane Foundation),
hoping they might respond and I might learn something about this particular
bird. I thought TN-birders might enjoy reading about the reply I got (today)
from ICF, so I copied it below.

Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN

Reply from ICF to my email:

Hello Ron,
Thank you for contacting us about the whooping crane you observed near Hiwassee
Island and for correctly reading the bands on her legs; this allows me to be
able to identify exactly which bird she is.

The bird you observed was #33-05, she was the 33rd bird hatched for the
reintroduction project in 2005.  However, she was 1 of only 4 birds that was
released using a new technique the USFWS and ICF are working on called the
direct autumn release (DAR).  In this portion of the project young birds are
released directly into the wild in the fall and learn the migration route from
older whooping cranes and sandhill cranes.

She began migration last fall with the 3 other DAR birds and numerous sandhill
cranes.  Sometime during that first day they all separated but all later ended
up at Hiwassee.  She spent several weeks there before continuing her migration
with sandhill cranes to Florida.

When #33-05 migrated north this spring she was further east in IN than she
should have been.  Additionally she flew on days with west winds which pushed
her even further east; therefore she ended up in MI instead of WI.  We actually
went to MI to capture her so we could return her to WI, but she was with a pair
of sandhill cranes and flew off with them when we approached so she remained
there all summer and fall.

She began migration this fall on Sunday November 19th and satellite data
indicated she had arrived at Hiwassee by Monday night, November 20th and has
remained there ever since.  There should be 1-2 other whooping cranes in the
Hiwassee area, one is often seen from the observation gazebo and is also a DAR
bird from last year.  The third bird doesn?t have a functional radio
transmitter and isn?t seen as frequently since she?s apparently hanging out
just off the refuge further up the river.  All of our tracking team is
currently in FL so please let me know if you observe any other whooping cranes
in this area.  I?m so glad you were able to see her and thanks for the kind
words.

If you would like to receive email updates about the status and behavior of the
eastern migratory flock of Whooping Cranes including #33-05 please send an
email to the ICF Web Editor at: aburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks again for contacting us and for your interest and support and please let
me know if you have any more questions about this bird.

Sincerely,

Sara Zimorski

Please consider becoming a member of the International Crane Foundation (ICF).
Your membership contribution to ICF will support research about endangered
crane populations, the reintroduction of the Whooping Crane to the eastern
United States, public education programs, and protection of wetland and
grassland ecosystems. In addition, your membership offers numerous benefits,
including free tours of our headquarters in Baraboo, Wisconsin?the only place
in the world where you can see all 15 crane species!  You will also receive a
one-year subscription to the ICF Bugle newsletter, free admission to over 150
zoos and aquariums nationwide and other benefits.  To begin your membership
today, just click on this link to the ICF website:
https://www.savingcranes.org/support/membership/signup/index.cfm?form_type=new
or call 608-356-9462 ext. 103 and we?ll be happy to sign you up over the phone
or mail you an application.  Thank you for your support!

Sara Zimorski

Aviculturist

International Crane Foundation

E-11376 Shady Lane Road, P.O. Box 447

Baraboo, WI  53913

Tel: 608-356-9462 ext. 154

Fax: 608-356-9465

sara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was birding with friends at the Blythe's Ferry WMA, near Hiwassee Island,
Meigs County, TN. yesterday and we saw a Whooping Crane. This crane had a red
band on the upper left leg and a green over white band on the right leg. You
folks probably already know about this particular individual, but just in case
you didn't, now you do! If you have the time, I would like to know any
information about this individual. Keep up the great work! It's always a VERY
special experiemce to see one of these magnificent creatures, knowing how close
they were to extinction. Kudos. Ron Hoff

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES