[TN-Bird] Re: Whooping Cranes part II

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hyla514@xxxxxxxxx" <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>, "thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx" <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:28:05 -0800 (PST)

Daniel, I think you likely came to the right conclusion. This time of year male
Rusties can be mostly black already (most will still have some rufous flecking
though), but they don't have the high gloss effect of male Brewer's, which are
getting really shiny by now. Usually Rusty just looks black, or has a slight
greenish cast, without the strong greenish-blue and violet of Brewer's. With
practice the shape of the bill is different with a decent look, subtle though.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx