[TN-Bird] Whooping Cranes part II

  • From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:13:25 -0800

Hi Folks,

1. I was told today that there have been no Whooping Cranes at Hiawasee this
winter, but a check of eBird shows sightings there as recently as February 8th.
 One of the entries refers to "Yuchi WMA". I don't know where that is, who to
contact, or how to get there. Another entry refers to a ranger having flushed a
Whooping Crane into view, and a third entry  refers to an unbanded bird (Now,
that is exciting!).  I hope someone gets me more info.

2. Tonight, at Standifer Marsh, I had 3 obvious Rusty Blackbirds, and some
all-black male birds that I assumed were Brewer's Balckbirds, but according to
eBird, Brewer's Blackbird is rare in this whole area.  The male birds may have
been Rusties that I was unable to separate from male Brewer's. Comments on the
status and distrubtion of bith species are welcome.  All of the
blackbirds--including a big flock of Brown-headed Coowbirds showed up very late
in the day, and they were quite skittish.  The small flock of Common Grackles
eschewed their company, preferring the church parking lot.  There is also a
leucistic Robin that looks like a gigantic Spotted Towhee.

Tom

Thomas Geza Miko,

B.Sc. Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation & Lab Safety

653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., unit C

Claremont, CA 91711
U.S.A.

Home: 909.445.1456