[TN-Bird] Whooping Cranes at Hiwassee

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:40:42 EST

Chatters:

This morning I was on hand at the Hiwassee refuge in Meigs Co., TN. to see a
partial fly in of the 2003 migration.  There was a brisk wind blowing at the
gazebo.  We got to see one aircraft bring in two birds, then a second aircraft
bring in a single bird. Lastly we saw a third aircraft bring in four birds.
When we all left (15 or 20 people) the news was basically that Whoopers were
scattered all over the place.  I think someone mentioned four had returned to
Cumberland County.  While a single bird was traveling west and one of the team
members was dispatched to track it down.  A few of the birds were later
reported to be in the vicinity of Watts Bar Nuclear Plant.

Needless to say Heather Ray's report promises to be an interesting one when
she finds the time to bring us all up to speed!  www.operationmigration.org
When the first page comes up click on "In the field" for her daily updates.

Weather permitting and if they are able to crate all the remaining nine
cranes to Hiwassee today there should be a lift off tomorrow morning.  If you
plan
to come up arrive early.  I'd say before 8 AM EST.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.