[TN-Bird] Whooping Cranes at Hiwassee

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:49:46 EST

Hiwassee Refuge
Meigs co., TN.
The class of 2004 with 14 slightly immature plumaged Whooping Cranes arrived
at Hiwassee Refuge this morning just after 9:15 AM.  The first crane we saw
was a single bird following one of the ultra lights.  In a minute or so another
trike appeared with the other 13 birds in tow.  Both aircraft circled close
over head at the gazebo as the pilots were waiting for the ground crew to
arrive
and open the holding pen door.

I've had the good fortune to be present ever year since Operation Migration
brought the Sandhill Cranes through in a test experiment back in 1999 I think
it was.  This year was just as exceptional as ever.  No matter how many times I
see this event I still get goose bumps!

Departure time is scheduled for around 7:30 AM eastern Friday morning.  It
wouldn't hurt to be a few minutes early.  The fog from the river does play a
part at Hiwassee so the departure time could be a bit later.  I'm not taking
any
chances myself.

If you haven't heard, the migration team still has not met this years goal
for funding.  An anonymous donor living in Tennessee has pledged matching funds
up to $5,000.00 for any donations made while the cranes are in Tennessee!!!
Time is short, won't you help out?  Call 1-800-675-2618 and make a tax
deductible investment in our children and GRANDchildren's future.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.