[TN-Bird] White-winged Scoter, Purple Martin & Red-headed Woodpecker!

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 01:57:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

Early this afternoon, we headed over to Woods Reservoir .  I was very, very
happy to see a Red-headed Woodpecker!  Although I seen them in Iowa growing up,
this was my first time seeing one in Tennessee in the twelve years we have been
here.  I even more pleased when my husband and boys jumped out of the vehicle
to see it as well - we are all woodpecker kind of people.  :)  Overall we seen
31 species - first list below.

After leaving there, we made a jaunt over to the army surplus store in Jasper.
Since we were so close, we decided to visit Nickajack Lake .  We have visited
the lake before to see the bats, but we have never been there to look at birds.
 We only visited the dam and the surrounding area, but it was a good trip!  We
were able to see a White-winged Scoter - another first for me in Tennessee.  We
also seen a Purple Martin which surprised me a bit.  In addition, we were able
to view Red-breasted Mergansers.  I don't know why, but these birds always make
me smile.  I think it might be the crazy head feathers.

Woods Reservoir
Canada Goose  24
Redhead  3
Greater/Lesser Scaup  30
Bufflehead  6
Common Goldeneye  14
Hooded Merganser  2
Common Loon  10
Pied-billed Grebe  10
Horned Grebe  6
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  4
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  52
Mourning Dove  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  22
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
Carolina Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  11
American Robin  34
Brown Thrasher  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Dark-eyed Junco  4
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  1
House Sparrow  1

Nickajack Lake
Greater Scaup  3     .
Lesser Scaup  10
White-winged Scoter  1     Documentation photo:
http://www.pbase.com/image/159369035
Bufflehead  1
Red-breasted Merganser  13
Pied-billed Grebe  17