[tn-bird] Re: White-rumped Sandpiper (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:15:04 EDT

In a message dated 6/7/02 10:16:35 PM Central Daylight Time, raincrow@xxxxxxx
writes:

> This is the first time I have recorded this species in June, all my
> previous observations having come between May 13 and 24.

Of course here along the Mississippi Flyway we get quite a protracted
migration with extreme early and late birds. I've recorded groups of
White-rumped as late as the middle of June. Most of them have passed through
by the end of the first week of June but I have a record of June 17 at Ensley
and June 13 in Mississippi. I had a single Semipalmated Sandpiper and a
single White-rumped at Ensley this Saturday and we had small groups of mixed
birds along the Great River Road on Saturday and Sunday. Most of these birds
were in traveling mode, only stopping briefly and then scurrying north. We
still have a lot to learn about Wind Birds.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.