[tn-bird] TN - Waterfowl Weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:47:13 EDT

June 8-9, 2002
Shelby, Lauderdale,
Lake, Dyer Co. TN

With 13 species of waterfowl seen over the weekend, you might think it to be
winter rather than June. Of course Canada Geese are breeding everywhere now
and making more poop than you can shake a foot at. The most surprising and
pleasing birds were both Tree Ducks that were enjoyed, with 5 Black-bellied
at North Lake in south Ensley Bottoms in Shelby County on Saturday; and the
pair of Fulvous still seen early in the day by Todd and Greene at Mud Lake in
Lake Co. These two were hard to find as they flew into and out of the flooded
winter wheat. They were sitting out in the open near a little island that
they had been using all week when I arrived at 7:30 Saturday evening. I saw
them fly from that area into the wheat again early Sunday morning and many
trips back by Mud Lake did not prove fruitful all day except for the many
other duck species picked up at that location.

There were 6 Wood Ducks at Mud Lake, 3 pair along with; one Gadwall male, 3
Wigeon, 2 male and 1 female, an American Black Duck that I had to walk a
quarter of a mile to make sure it was not a wayward Mottled, another species
soon to be found in TN. Mallards in all sizes and conditions of molt were in
all the wet holes with 27 counted at Mud Lake, Blue-winged Teal were
represented by 3 males hanging together and another mated pair that stayed
away from the cruisers. A single female Northern Shoveler and a ratty looking
Canvasback were seen off and on all day. A male Lesser Scaup is still present
at Champy's Pocket at Reelfoot Lake and Hooded Mergansers were seen along the
Great River Road, Reelfoot Lake and another pair of females at Mud Lake. The
final species I mention here put on a real show, I found 1 Ruddy Duck in a
barrow pit just north of 155 on the Great River Road and a pair on Reelfoot
Lake but the 70 counted at Mud Lake with 62 brightly plumaged males and 8
females were stunning in numbers and colors. The bright blue bills, white
cheek patches, ruddy bodies and stiff tails were to be marveled at again and
again.

What a difference 7 days can make here along the Mississippi River as since
last Sunday the river has dropped 18 feet. The fields are quickly drying,
much too quickly, as two Black-necked Stilt nest in Lake Co. were destroyed
this week, one by a road grader and another by plow. Most of the 14 or so
Black-necks seen last week in Lake Co. have moved on but at Memphis the
number of active nests grew and birds were seen breeding while hatched young
were being located.

There are a few sand bars just rising from the waters and Least Terns have
abandoned the fields where there were hundreds last week except for a few
that could not wait; most of these nests will fall to the ever present plow
that follows the pale color of drying soil across the wide fields. Life goes
on along the Mighty Missisip'.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA