[TN-Bird] White Pelicans on the move.......

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:45:48 EDT

Oct. 3, 2004
Mississippi River
Shelby Co. TN

I left Ensley at noon, after two Peregrines had started a competition as to
which could keep the most birds in the air at the same time. Saturday morning
my first visit to Mud Island at dawn produced little in the way of birds but my
second visit kept me busy counting ducks. Sunday my first revealed nothing
and my second kept me counting soaring White Pelicans.
The sandbars are just starting to peek out above the waters.

In slightly over an hours vigil, I had nine flights of Pelicans with the high
number in the largest group a hefty 435+ and total for that location was
875+. I left there to check out Eagle Lake and found the gates locked, so I
started scanning the horizon over the river and what I saw at first in the
distance
looked like skeins of Snow Geese but in the next hour I counted another 950+
White Pelicans heading south. As they got to the south edge of the refuge, each
group again went into thermals and looked like flashing clouds that would
appear and disappear as they turned. After a little break I headed south to
Ensley again where I might have caught a few of those same flights but I did
not
add them to the total. Over 1800 Pelicans headed south, no telling what had
passed that was missed.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA