[TN-Bird] Where Are They

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:21:06 -0500

Greetings Birders,

Has no one seen Evening Grosbeak during this snowy cold weather?  In '93 and
the next couple of years just after I came to Buladean there was erratic
flocking at my feeders.  It was always startling to see the large thick conical
bills.  Their color was similar to the American Goldfinch but they are so huge.

I would also see Purple Finch among the House Finch.  It seems that the House
Finch will disappear for several weeks then one or two will put in an
appearance, then a nice flock of 6 to 8 will gather at my feeders.  They will
be present for several days to several weeks then I won't see them again for
awhile.

The Goldfinch are the same.  For several days or weeks I will have a flock of
10 to 11, then I won't see them for a while.  During this period of snow and
cold I have only had one... And this one has been a regular.

This season I will have one Purple Finch at a time feeding but they never
linger.  I have had both males and female this season so they are not the same
Purple Finch.

Just wondering.. I would love to have some refugees from the weather further
north.  Will continue to check to see if anyone else does.

Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC  ( In the mountains near Johnson City, TN)