[TN-Bird] Smith's Longspur - Mooring TN - late post

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:05:16 EST

Jan. 11, 2003
Mooring, Dyer Co. TN

I forgot to mention this bird last week. There has been large numbers of Laps
and Horned Larks in the fields just south of Mooring for a few weeks. Ken
Allen and I spent quite a bit of time gleaning through the up close birds
last Saturday. We got some great looks at these birds and some were feeding
in an unusually grassy field while others used a more typical open field.

We were treated by one of the birds flying just a few feet over our heads and
giving the distinctive tinny rattle of the Smith's Longspur. It is so much
different from the Lap's rattle that we had been hearing that we both turned
on the bird. We were able to get on the bird and I saw the typical flight
pattern of a plain breasted, buffy bird well enough to satisfy my Smith's,
ID. We did not see or hear the bird again as it flew well to the south of us
and disappeared.

The reason I bring this up is that I visited this area again for the third
week and found fewer birds but still good numbers using the snow covered
fields. More birds were in the grassy areas as would be expected for more
protection from the cold wind but a few still foraged in the open fields.
Those colorful, male Laps just shone in the bright sun against the sparkling
snow.

It is almost perfect habitat for a Chestnut-collared to show up in and worth
the time to check this field if you are in the area. If they hang around it
would be nice to ease around in this huge grassy field, if I can find the
owner and get permission. Look in the area of Bingham and Asa Guess Roads
south of Mooring.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA