[TN-Bird] Weekend Scouting

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:20:13 -0400 (EDT)

Oct. 22-23, 2011
Memphis, Reelfoot, Pace Point area

It is time to get ready for the winter birds, so I started at  the Memphis
River front with 220 White Pelicans which pretty much set the stage  because
I had them everywhere I went from there. On the river, there was very
little movement a few bobbing Coots and ducks but lots of P-b Grebe. A couple
of
 Bald Eagles and a Harrier but I was too early for other raptors.

A trip to Benwood Lake just across the bridge in AR, produced  the 15
Avocet and lower numbers of the standard fare but a few thousand Greater
White-fronted Geese and 10 Snow wiffled down which is always great to  watch.

Along the Mississippi River in Dyer and Lake Counties, more  pelicans and
few ducks but added to the white column numbers  were Ring-billed and Herring
Gulls, plus a nice movement of Red-tailed  Hawks including 2 Krider's and a
feisty Merlin.

At Reelfoot, the lake was covered with pelicans and DC  Cormorants, plus 2
Horned Grebe, just a few scattered ducks and a bunch of  coots. An Osprey
and Bald Eagles filled the raptor list on the lake with  Red-tails and Harrier
numbers working the ridge east of the lake. The lake is  heading down and
will soon look like last years "Field of Stumps" is we don't  get some rain.
White's Landing is now owned by TWRA and will give birders a much  needed
area to view the south end of the lake and the RIGHT amenities would  greatly
help if they don't screw it up.

I got to Paris Landing around 5 PM, and found  an eagle on one end of the
sand bar out from the park and a few gulls at  the other end. A watch there
of the birds moving in and out produced 1  Franklin's and a 3rd year Lesser
Black-back that flew in from above the bridge  also a good number of adult
and immature Herring Gulls were seen pulling out to  go to roost. Eleven
Common Loons, lots of P-b Grebe, Coots and very few  ducks at dusk while a nice
bunch of gulls and Forster's Terns used Eagle  Creek.

Sunday was spent going into every nook and cranny around Big  Sandy reach.
The lake is low and that changes where things congregate but again  White
Pelicans are taking over the world. A few Loons were seen from Port Road,
more from Trailer Road plus an Osprey and a Peregrine. There must have been
some  high winds there as the shells and rocks were piled higher up on the land
than  I've ever seen. Antioch Point had more gulls, few loons  and
practically no ducks.

The point at Britton Ford does not close till Nov. 15 and it  always
produces sparrows and held a nice collection, The only White-fronted  Goose
there
was with a bunch of Canada Geese and a trio of Snow ( one Snow  and 2 Blue)
plus Bald Eagle keeping them honest. A brief stop at a good  stand of
Barnyard Grass and Panicum mix produced the regular sparrow mix plus  LeConte's
Sparrows.

The treat here was a bunch of roosting gulls, 4 adult Herring,  22
Ring-bills, 26 FRANKLIN'S and a pair of Bonaparte's Gulls. Farther south the
Big
Sandy Flats produced just Great Egrets and Great Blues, water is too low for
even gulls except up toward Springhill.

The rest of the day was spent going to all the points and  creeks around
the point. Except for Killdeer, I had no other shorebirds.  Butter-buts were
everywhere and 3 Palm Warblers were rewards for looking through  the bunches.
One pod of Pied-billed Grebes numbered 92 birds and they were  scattered
all around; among the few gulls was a 1st year Lesser Black-back. Two  pods of
3 and a single brought the Horned Grebe number to a measly  seven. Three
trips to Pace Point paid off near dusk with about 100 Loons  going to roost
but not in their regular areas, they might get this worked out  before the Big
numbers arrive. A very, large distant loon will hopefully stay  around and
come in closer for more definitive looks.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.