[TN-Bird] Duck River NWR, KY Lake - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:30:21 -0500

Chris Sloan and I also birded around KY Lake, but also Duck River Unit of
Tennessee NWR on Saturday.  Duck River Unit was very birdy, many thousands of
waterfowl, lots of sparrows, and raptor movement was excellent.  We got delayed
by getting a flat tire at Duck River and driving on a donut on my truck for a
few hours was slow going.  The delay got us to the gull loafing areas on KY
lake much later than desired and we missed the majority of gulls that were
probably hanging out earlier.  We had LeConte's Sparrows at 3 locations.

Highlights:
Duck River Unit, Tennessee NWR (Humphreys Co.)

LeConte's Sparrow - 1
American Bittern - 1 on the wildlife drive
Long-billed Dowitcher - 12
Gadwall - 16,000+, all on the river (all visible from one spot)
American Wigeon - 1000+ (shovelers and green-winged teal mixed in as well)
-there were thousands more waterfowl on the far bank of the river, viewed from
the pipeline/boat ramp on the west end of the refuge, all too far off to ID.
The shimmer was tough here.
Am. White Pelican - 500+
N. Harrier - 7
Cooper's Hawk -3
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2, one of the birds was the reddest and darkest bird
we've ever seen.

Tennessee NWR - Big Sandy and Pace Point (Henry Co)
Not much shaking here other than birds in the fields below Bennett's Creek
overlook (where Terry and Chad had a lot of sparrows as well)
LeConte's Sparrows - at least 5, tons of Savannah and Swamp sparrows
Horned Grebe - 8 (pace point)
Ruddy Duck - 25
Common Loon - 20
more white pelicans

Tennessee NWR - Britton Ford (Henry Co)
LeConte's Sparrow - 1
Wilson's Snipe - 4
more White Pelicans
almost nothing at the overlook

Eagle Creek (the embayment immediately south of Paris Landing SP, Henry Co.)
Caspian Tern - 2
Forster's Tern - 25
more White Pelicans

Paris Landing SP (Henry Co.)
The island was almost devoid of birds because an adult Bald Eagle was sitting
on it, plus it was very late in the day.
Caspian Tern - 1 on the island
American Coot - 5000+, several big pods of birds with gadwall mixed in
more White Pelicans

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist