[TN-Bird] We need you for the MARCH Rusty Blackbird Blitz??

  • From: Cynthia Anne Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:13:53 -0600

Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz 2014
 <http://rustyblackbird.org/wp-content/uploads/rubl_blitz_putneypics.jpg>

Although scientists have made huge strides in understanding Rusty Blackbirds
on their breeding and wintering grounds - partly thanks to the original
Rusty Blackbird Winter Blitz
<http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/research/rusty_blackbird/blit
z_results.cfm>   - we know surprisingly little about the migratory
requirements and habits of this species. Are there hot spots where many
individuals congregate during migration?  Are similar migratory stopover
areas used by Rusties each year?  Are stopover areas protected, or might
availability of these areas be limiting Rusty Blackbird survival?
To address these questions, the International Rusty Blackbird Working Group,
in partnership with eBird <http://www.ebird.org/> , the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology <http://www.birds.cornell.edu/> , and the Vermont Center for
Ecostudies <http://www.vtecostudies.org/> , is coordinating a Spring
Migration Blitz for 2014.  This Blitz will challenge birders to seek out the
elusive Rusty Blackbird throughout its migratory range, from the southern
United States, through the Midwest and along the East Coast, and up into
Canada.
The Spring Migration Blitz will kick off in March of 2014; each state,
province, or territory is assigned target dates
<http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/states-and-dates/> for
conducting the Blitz based on estimated peak migration periods. Looking to
get involved? Volunteers like you are critical to the success of this
initiative!  In 2010 alone, eBirders reported more than 11,700 Rusty
Blackbirds during theRusty Blackbird Winter Blitz
<http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/research/rusty_blackbird/blit
z.cfm> . We encourage all experienced birders to participate
<http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/get-involved/> ; contact
me for more information or ³like" out the Rusty Blackbird Blitz Facebook
page!
Thanks!

<")
  ( \
  / |`  Cyndi Routledge
          TN State Coordinator

³Wild beasts and birds are by right
not the property merely of the people
who are alive today,  but the property of unknown
generations, whose belongings we have NO
right to squander².  ~ Theodore Roosevelt