[TN-Bird] Warren Co. Grebes

  • From: Susan McWhirter <snmcwhirter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:31:22 -0500

The Red-necked Grebe is still at Lake Karen, where we have seen it since
March 4.
Also today were 11 Horned Grebes changing into breeding plumage.

Warren Co. does not have any large bodies of water so this relatively small
lake (only about 45 acres) attracts some interesting birds. It has produced
many county records this winter (Long-tailed Duck, Red-necked Grebe,
White-winged Scoter to name a few).  Our numbers pale in comparison to
others, but we're happy to have just these!

Lake Karen is about 2.5 miles NE of McMinnville on East Highway 70 S ("the
four lane"). The light is best from this side though you have to pay a
$3/person entrance fee. You can also view the lake for free from the north
side on Starlight Rd.

Mac and Susan McWhirter
Rock Island, TN